Membership to the ACT Medicare Local is divided into three classes - GP, Organisation and Primary Health Care Clinician.
Membership in the GP Class of the ACT Medicare Local is limited to Registered General Practitioners who are practising in the Australian Capital Territory. GPs who practice in NSW and were members of the ACT Division of General Practice on 2 August 2011 are eligible to continue to be members of the ACT Medicare Local provided they renew their membership before the 2011 AGM which will be held in November.
Membership in the Organisation Class of the ACT Medicare Local is open to:
- Peak Bodies: a body that represents persons eligible to be members of the ACT Medicare Local
- Service Providers: a body that provides Primary Health Care in the ACT through employees or contractors, one or more of whom are eligible for membership of the ACT Medicare Local (this includes practices)
- Consumer Organisations: a body that represents consumers of the Primary Health Care services in the ACT.
Primary Health Care Clinician Class
Membership in the Primary Health Care Clinician (PHCC) Class of the ACT Medicare Local is limited to PHCC’s who are Registered Health Practitioners (through the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (APHRA)) practising in the ACT who are not General Practitioners. Primary Health Practitioners who work in primary health care but are not registered through AHPRA can also apply to become members but should contact the ACT Medicare Local office before applying.
A list of eligible practitioners is provided below.
- Aboriginal Health Workers
- Dental Practitioner
- Dental therapist
- Dental hygienist
- Dental prosthetist
- Oral health therapist
- Exercise physiologists
- Medical Practitioner
- Registered nurse (including Nurse Practitioners)
- Enrolled nurse
- Occupational therapists
- Speech pathologists and,
- Social Workers