What is the Closing the Gap Program?
A whole of Government initiative aimed at reducing the discrepancy between Indigenous and Non-Indigenous mortality rates. Closing the Gap seeks to increase the quality of life of Indigenous people experiencing chronic conditions. At ACT Medicare Local the Closing the Gap Program includes a Care Coordination and Supplementary Services stream.
What does the Closing the Gap Program do?
- Provides education to general practices and the wider community relating to Indigenous Health matters.
- Provides coordinated care to Indigenous patients, ensuring follow-up and follow-through of care plans.
- Works closely with general practice staff to ensure participating practices are confident in culture awareness and sensitivity.
- Assists General Practices and Allied Health Professionals to manoeuvre through the health system and Closing the Gap.
- Works closely with local Indigenous community members to obtain feedback and direction that assists in the provision of better health outcomes.
How can the Closing the Gap Program help you?
The Closing the Gap team can assist you if you identify as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Island descent and are managing complex chronic conditions. This will provide you, your family and community with assistance to overcome barriers that historically prevented you from partaking in primary and mainstream health care.
For general practices and other health services, Closing the Gap can assist you to support the local Indigenous community, ensuring that your contribution to closing the gap between mortality and chronic conditions of Indigenous people counts.
What has the Closing the Gap Program achieved?
- In collaboration with other initiatives Closing the Gap has assisted in reducing the discrepancy between Indigenous and Non-Indigenous mortality rates.
- Has provided individuals with self-management tools they can utilise to help manage their chronic conditions.
- Has provided education to the broader community regarding Indigenous health matters.
- Has encouraged and supported over 20% of ACT general practices to participate in the Practice Incentive Program Indigenous Health incentive.
- Has received recognition from funding bodies for the programs service to the community and development and distribution of resources in relation to Indigenous health matters.
Who can help you?
Samantha Davidson Fuller
Indigenous Health/Closing the Gap Team Leader
(02) 6287 8007